Skip to main content

Oh great. Another beginning. = \

Beginnings are not my strong suit when it comes to writing novels. Apparently the same goes for blogs. I’ve been staring at the empty space on this page for way too long. I don’t even have the luxury of sending this through critique and revising it before you see it. Talk about pressure!


One of the first pieces of advice I got from a published author when I started writing was, ‘Just get your story written, no matter how bad it is. You can revise later.’ Okay, Molly. The revision part is not quite the same for blogs, but here goes...

Some of you already know I'm writing my first book. (Well, first two books. The original’s not even published yet and there’s a sequel. Whether that’s a sign of confidence or stupidity is anyone’s guess.) A couple of you even read it when it was in first draft form. <shudder> Thanks...for even managing to get through it. And thanks to my critique partners for helping me improve it. That verse about specks in your neighbor’s eye and logs in your own is true.

Over the last year, I’ve managed to make some progress. My first manuscript is in the final polishing stages. The second (the sequel) is in first draft form—finished just the other day. Then I have three other stories in various stages of development. One is a historical romance in the research and plot notes stage, one is a romantic suspense in the ‘I have an idea for a great opening scene, but that’s as far as it goes’ stage (Hey, at least I nailed the beginning, right?), and one is a romance for which I have the ending in mind, but no story to lead up to that ending. Ha. Strange how a writer’s mind works. Still, I jot these little epiphanies down regardless. Who knows what might come of them.

I suppose this opening blog post would not be complete without giving a nod to my mom. She’s the sweet, little, white-headed lady who has a never-ending supply of embarrassing stories about my youth...including the one about me making room in the corner of my closet and writing stories with a flashlight and a spiral notebook. She’s also a retired English teacher who dogged me about spelling and grammar when I was growing up. I hated it then, but I’m thanking her now...and begging her to be my editor. = )

My goal for this blog, besides shameless self-promotion, is to post helpful and interesting things for my followers to read. If you have suggestions for topics you’d like to see addressed here, by all means, leave a comment or shoot me an email. I’ll do my best to oblige.

I’m hitting the button now and sending this forever out into cyber space. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you’ll return from time to time.

Comments

  1. Woohoo! You did it! That was a great first post, if I ever read one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first blog :) You just started not so long ago but I bet you really have made some progress. Couldn't find your follow button though :/ I still have not learned the art of tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add it soon. Sorry - major yard work day yesterday and dd's birthday party today. And I was trying to leave the weekly post as first on the blog for a couple days since I was hosting. I'll get right on it. ; )

      Delete
  3. This was a great first blog post, sooooooo much better than mine! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )